Why lighthouses matter – the story of Admiralty Head
While advanced technology is now at the core of modern ship navigation, our 19th-century lighthouses still play a vital role in guiding ships along Washington’s coastline. And they remain important symbols of the state’s maritime heritage.
Lighthouses draw thousands of visitors, history buffs, storytellers and artists every year. That’s why they are worth preserving for generations to come.
Hundreds of enthusiasts and community volunteers give generously of their time and money to preserve, protect and sustain our coastal treasures. We know not everyone can do that. However…
there is one simple thing you can do to help keep Washington lighthouses shining
Proceeds from the sales of license plates fund restoration projects, community education efforts and volunteer training, all under the umbrella of Lighthouse Environmental Programs.
|Tours||Interpretive Center||Overnight Stays||Weddings||Giftshop||Fresnel Lens|
First lit in 1879, then rebuilt in 1913, Point Wilson Lighthouse at 51 feet high is the tallest beacon on Puget Sound. Marking the entrance to Admiralty Inlet and the turning point into the San Juan Islands, this lighthouse stands at Fort Worden State Park near the Victorian village of Port Townsend on the Olympic Peninsula.
The light shines from a 4th order Fresnel lens, beaming a white light on for 15 seconds, then off 5 seconds, with one red flash during the occultation. The light was automated in 1976, and is monitored by a computer located at the Coast Guard Air Station at nearby Port Angeles.
Point Wilson Lighthouse is open for tours on Saturdays in May through September from 1:00 to 4:00, and for special tours on request.
Map and Directions